Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Just the facts please ...
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This DIY is how to use the liquid urethane called Flexane 94A. It is a pourable urethane that hardens to a shore hardness of 94A, which is harder then window weld but softer then nylon. They're going to be stiff but they shouldn't be overly ...

The mounts being used are for a 2006 Spectra5.

1 - I got some extra mounts from the local wrecking yard. This is the same car that shoved a piece of winddshield from my top knuckle to the second one ... under the skin.
Anyway, the guy at the counter gave them to me for free ... sweet

2 - First thing I did was clean them of all oil and grease using my pressure washer.

3- After cleaning them, I made sure all the flashing inside the mount was gone. I did this to both open up the cavities and make sure no air bubbles would get trapped.

Front Mount

Rear Mount

This is what they look like with all the flashing removed.

4 - I used some old DVDs to make backing plates. I did this to make a nice smooth surface.

5 - The mix is 100 parts to 11 parts. I didn't use it all, only about 1/2, and even that was to much. You mix it for two minutes and make sure that your getting the edges and bottom. You need to make sure and scrape the mixing tool your using too. I just used a plastic knife for mixing.

6 - Filling was a little tricky. The urethane is very thick, so pour slowly. I used the knife to make sure all the air was removed by pushing into the voids and moving it up and down. Just go slow. And as you can see, I didn't use it all up. Next time I'll make sure to have a few sets of mounts to do. Should be able to get at least three sets out of the pound of urethane I purchased.

7 - All done, just need to wait 24 hours then take the backing plates off and cook them for 24 hours. It takes seven days to get to 100% strength at 70 degrees. In 24 hours there at 80 - 90% strength. You can speed that up be heating them to 100 degree for 24 hours.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
So where did you get that stuff?

·
Not a n00b
6,519 Posts
So how rough of a ride are you expecting doing both mounts? I mean when I had just the rear mount it eliminated the wheel hop and kept the front wheels planted purdy good. The ride was pretty stiff when changing gears though. I couldn't imagine doing both.

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
I think you get used to it. So far I have my rear one only and I don't notice it anymore, I really wouldn't mind the stiffness.
This image has soooo many uses;)

(back OT) I wonder how the car would feel with one of these mounts and the jattus damper

·
Just the facts please ...
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good job, but the DIY exists already ;)
http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/mounts.php
I have to say, it is surprising, the front mount looks different than the XD one.
I saw that ... its Window Weld. This stuff is harder at Shore 94a, Window Weld is softer at around Shore hardness of 65a.

slyderdai said:
So how rough of a ride are you expecting doing both mounts ...
Its stiff at first, but it losenes up after awhile ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
i use to own an 2000 tiburon and i bought the kspec insert.... and switch back to the oem motor mount with window weld.... they weren't stiff enough for me....

all i had is a bit of vibration at idle and aroun 4000rpm for the rest pretty much the same as stock....

i have done that on all my car that i've own and will continue to do it !! i love the feeling you get with this mod !

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
title says it all ... and there's pictures and directions ... what you need more?? lolll

1 - 20 of 25 Posts