Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what governs when the A\T shifts, and if it is something that you can adjust, ie: to get it to ride out each gear a little longer before shifting. Though this would probably have an adverse effect on my milage and if anything I hope i gain a mile or two with stuff like intake, exhaust, header, etc.

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Hmm...I'm not sure what controls the shift points, but doesn't the tranny "ride out each gear" if you just stomp on the gas?

Axel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh, not always, though you might be right and i really should go driving around full throttle to check this out some more.. but i rarely pass like 5250 (especially past first gear) rpms and I dont exactly drive econo-minded :p

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Dontcha wish you would have gotten a 5-speed? hehe

j/k

I hope someone here can help you with this. I'm sure there's some kinda modification you can do. Good Luck!!!

Axel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, i really do.

Even if i had to learn on my brand new gt and wear down a clutch..... I would rather that, than regret it now. That and for the difference between the a/t and the m/t i coulda got a gt probably.

I ended up paying about 12k even with tax and tags for a GLS with the cheaper abs package(tho, how did i not get a cd player :p).

What it came down to, is my girlfriend got me into cars as before I met her i really had about 0 interest/knowledge, and I really didnt get the desire to tune/etc untill after I got my car, also had no real knowledge about how much performance bog a\t was. In the past 6 months I would like to think that ive learned a lot.. but yes im still a newbie :)

Im determined to get my money's worth on my 'lantra so im going to make the best of it and try to make it even more fun :)

I am also wondering how the A\T will handle increased horsepower if I throw on a few mods, or if there will be any problems.. A friend warned me but I think he just doesnt realize that hyundai isnt excells and s-coupes anymore :p

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
There are quite a few people on this site that drive A/T Elantras, and most/all have done engine mods. I think at least one of them is even using Nitrous.....so I'm sure the tranny can handle at least 225 whp.

Axel

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey! I have an A/T XD, and i have made some mods, i put a CAI, and a header, and mmm nothing more but right now i`m doing ok with the tranny, i`m not really sure of how many mods do you want to do, now i´m saving to improve the injection system, i dont know exactly what am i going to do but it is in my plan, as soo many others mods.... Also it might be good to say that its not so bad the A/T, ok i cannot beat a M/T elantra but its easy to deal with any other car A or M, hope this helps, bye

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not to bring this back from the dead but no real answer was given from what I had read.

It has to do with the torque converter. They don't liked to be reved alot and can grenade. Same with flywheels and stuff. 9out of 10 auto trannys can't be reved higher then a manual tranny counterpart. Rx7's are like this. You can bump it up some but you may scatter your tranny unless everything is ballenced/built.

now moving the shift points up to say 6.5-7k arn't going to do you any good. Even if the motor can handle it because the cams don't allow the car to build anypower past 6k I belive"give or take about 200rpm". If you got more agressive cams and stuff you might see better gains then someone who kept stock rev limiter.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The ecu also has some say in that

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fluid temperature!

Install a series tranny cooler, as the ECM controls when the torque converter engages by the temp of the fluid.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The computer is the final step in the shifting process. It reads the map (or MAF if it's 04), the tps, and the cable that goes to the tranny to determine when to shift. At full throttle, my gf's 04 xd shifts at exactly 6750, or red-line. If you manually shift, you will get a little more rpm, but our engines stop making power at 6750 and the limiter kicks in at 7 grand, so you won't see any gain. The best way to make the car run consistanty fast is to stick it to the wood and let the comp do it's job.

·
Registered
281 Posts
04 elantra cvvt said:
The computer is the final step in the shifting process. It reads the map (or MAF if it's 04), the tps, and the cable that goes to the tranny to determine when to shift. At full throttle, my gf's 04 xd shifts at exactly 6750, or red-line. If you manually shift, you will get a little more rpm, but our engines stop making power at 6750 and the limiter kicks in at 7 grand, so you won't see any gain. The best way to make the car run consistanty fast is to stick it to the wood and let the comp do it's job.
You drive an 04 so the redlines and stuff might be diffrent then for us 01-03 guys.

If Hyundai software is programable enough you should be able to hook up the computer into the obdII port and change alomst every dynamic of the auto. I would just like to get firmer shifts. But what we need is a tech who has played around with the computer system in the cars.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
This is true, but, there have not been very many people that have cracked the Hyundai code. IF you find someone, latch onto them. I am sure that the other people of the board would love to find them. So far, there are only a couple of people that can program the ECU's. Your best bet to do what you want is to buy a piggy-back ECU.

·
Registered
175 Posts
MattsLantra said:
I am also wondering how the A\T will handle increased horsepower if I throw on a few mods, or if there will be any problems..
i dont know abut our transmissions but some can halndle up tp 1000 hp no problem that is why some major drag and nascar teams are making the shift to automatic transmissions the reason is a auto has a torqe converter wich will let the engine shove as much in it as it wants but the trans will on ly take out as musch as it can handle

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I drive an 02 gls with A/T and i shift high sometimes between 6-7000rpms when im flooring, but my cousin said that if you kinda turn the auto into a "manual" by shifting from 1-2-3-D on the Shifter at the high rpms you can get alittle more than just letting the ecu do it, since sometimes the ecu will shift high and other times around 4000... but i think doing that might mess with your transmission... but hey once you blow it, you get the 5speed swap :tongue: also i think the cvvt in an 04 will greatly help get it up to 6k+ rpm. I asked my dealer if they do upgrades since i believe its all the same engine they said no... but im sure its possible, similar to how hondas get a Vtec upgrade.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The block is the same yes, but that's about it. There are so many differences between the two engines are so great that it would be easier to just buy the 04. You would have to get the head, ECU, wiring harness, and all associated sensors.

On another note, holding your car in gear will only cause it to rev higher. It will not go past 7k because of the rev-limiter. And yes, I have driven both models, and the cvvt is smother troughout the RPM band.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts