Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright WTF. I've got something stuck to my windshield that I can't get off. Another problem is, you can't see it unless I have the wipers on. I don't know if it's tree sap, oil, etc. When the wipers pass over it leaves these 'spots' all over. They look like dried raindrops kinda. They appear after the wipers pass over, then fade as they dry. You cannot see them when the window is dry - it fades into non-existance. I've tried amonia based window cleander, rubbing compound, even a razor-blade window scraper, it won't go away. I even replaced my wipers - no change. What is this crap and more importantly how the hell do I get it to go away.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
I have the same problem. I thought it was the wipers and after replacing them it was better but still there. I've heard of people using a fine steel wool for window cleaning but I don't have the info to do it and don't want to scratch the shit out of the glass doing it wrong.

·
Registered
711 Posts
use steel wool. it will not scratch ur windshield at all. thats what body shops and detailers use for cleaning windows, ull think ur windows are brand new again.

but try not to get pieces of the steel on the paint

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I believe what you are seeing is residual material from all the plastic and vinyl in the INTERIOR. I had the same thing on my car when it was new, the problem was worst at night in the rain. I use Armor-All glass cleaner inside and out and LOTS of Rain-X. That seems to have fixed the trouble for me.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
slvrsleeper said:
I believe what you are seeing is residual material from all the plastic and vinyl in the INTERIOR. I had the same thing on my car when it was new, the problem was worst at night in the rain. I use Armor-All glass cleaner inside and out and LOTS of Rain-X. That seems to have fixed the trouble for me.
That's an idea, however I fail to see why the wipers passing over would make it appear if it's something on the INSIDE of the glass. I'll be trying steel wool now.

·
Registered
741 Posts
When you go to use steel wool, spray a detail spray wax on first, like from a clay bar. You need something to lubricate the steel wool to prevent the minor swirls that come from the steel wool picling up dirt and the dirt scratching. Glass is harder than steel wool so the wool itself wont stratch, but the dirt can. Then use a some hard core window cleaner to get the wax off.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip. I have both the claybar lubricant and hardcore window cleaner, so I'm all set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts