Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace all four tires soon and I am wondering if I have to have new wheel alignment done after that. I feel slight pulling of the steering wheel to one side and some tire noise right now, but I think that's because of uneven tire wear and I hope new tires will take care of the problem.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You should always get an alignment after new tires, suspension changes, etc. It should make sure your tires wear evenly and correct any pulling issues.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mlumz for your fast response.

My odometer hit 306,000 miles today. I have to spend around $500 for new tires and alignment. Also I have to change all four wheel brakes soon. I have a dilemma whether to spend so much money for the car with so much mileage. Do you think it is worth to spend money for the car? I don't have any other particular issues with my car right now. No smokes, no oil burning, and gas mileage around 30 mpg.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Well that's a bit much for tires. Check out general altimax from tirerack, I spent like $70 a tire. Also it depends on how long you want to keep the car. If it runs fine and you want to keep it for a while its not asking a lot.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Usually I purchase 80, 000 mile tread warranty tires and life time wheel balance and tire rotation plus road hazard warranty plus wheel alignment (3 year warranty). So $500 all included with tax is not a bad deal.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Uneven tire wear is most likely caused by alignment. So you probably want one, especially with spending the money on new tires. You don't want to waste the money spent on tires because of bad alignment. Which will void the tire's warranty. If any tire warranty comes up, you will have receipt to show it was aligned also balanced when they were mounted.

In the mean time, check tire pressure that's usually the main cause in car pulling. But if tires are uneven bad, it will also cause some pull. Also a lot of highways are designed to drain rain water, which cause cars to pull.

With your car running that good after 300,000+ miles, it will definitely go the distance of the new tire's life and more. I'd spend the little bit extra to do it right and keep the car in good shape.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Agreed with mlumz.

You are experiencing uneven wear now, it will continue when you get your new tires if alignment isn't done. Alignment isn't always about pull or straightness, most of it is tire wear than anything else.

·
04 GLS - Low, Slow, Angry
791 Posts
I'm with these guys, Spending the money on tires and not getting it aligned is probably a poor choice. I did it with a set because I figured "eh, it'll be ok til the next set" and needless to say I probably lost 10k miles on that set due to increased wear from alignment problems.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
definitely need and alignment...bad struts will also give you a chopping appearence to the tires...what kind of tire wear is it?? pic would help. inside or outside...both...flat spots?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts