Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a Goodyear tire & service center today for wheel alignment after I changed all four tires to new ones at Walmart.
The technician says that he can't do alignment for the rear wheel at this time due to unknown reason. (Maybe mechanical issues with the machine?). He says that front wheels are good.
He spent more than a hour to adjust alignment for my car, but he is so honest that he didn't charge me because he couldn't complete the job.
I am not familiar with the technical terms used for wheel alignment. I attached a copy of the paper he gave me for review. Please advise me what to do for my car alignment.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Caster is not adjustable, that's your frame.

Rear can only adjust toe. Without a custom suspension.

Caster is how far forward or rear your front wheels are. (Center of wheelwell, front to rear of car)
Camber is how far inward or outward the top of your tire is.
Toe is how straight your tires are. (turning left or right)

Probably just need to go to another shop since he was having trouble.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much smiley. I was expecting your help. Do you think I can go to other Goodyear service center? May be the place may have some problem with the alignment machine?

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Yea, Goodyear should be fine. I think alignments at my Hyundai dealer were about $75-80 for all four. It may have went up I haven't gotten one in a while.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
yeah the rear is dog tailing...the left one is pointed more IN and the right is pointed more OUT...your going to wear tires VERY quickly that way. Need a new shop asap!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks only1db. My steering wheel pulls to the left. So do you think the tilted rear wheel makes it pull to the left?

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
yes...becuase the rear tires are going like /.../ while the fronts are trying to go straight...the only way you can compensate is to turn the wheel left. It probably looks awkward to the people driving behind you...it probably looks like your car is going sideways down the road. LOL (maybe not that dramatic...but I would notice it)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks only1db. I went to other Goodyear service center today and had a new wheel alignment. They didn't experience any problem to do the job. $150-$10 discount with 3 year warranty. Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
View attachment scan0002.pdf
This morning I drove 50 miles on the Interstate. My car still pulls to the left. I don't see any improvement. Yesterday the mechanic told me they cannot adjust front camber. Do you think this is the cause of the wheel pulling to the left? I attached a new alignment report. Thanks.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
oh...ok...in that case no it wont, but if they were and they were wore in a particular pattern the rotating them would make them opposite and the car would straighten out. maybe you have a bad tire....rotating cant hurt

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to Goodyear yesterday to have them recheck the alignment. The guy testdrove and said that the alignment is fine. He said that if I drive on the let-hand lane, the wheel may pull to the left; If I drive on the right lane, it will pull to the right; and If I drive center lane, it will drive straight, all because of the topography of the road construction. Is it true? I mostly drive on the left lane. There are not many three lane roads in my area, so I didn't have chance to check wheel alignment on the three lane highway.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still have a problem with wheel alignment: My car won't go straight. It pulls to the left side no matter which lane I take. I drove on left lane, center lane or right lane. It pulls to the left side and I have to hold the wheel tight. Otherwise, my car will drifts to left sideways like a crab. The Goodyear guy still insists that my car goes straight, but I don't buy it and I got money back today. Any ideas to fix this wheel alignment problem? My wheel alignment report is at posting #10 above.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts