Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I had a question about wheel spacers. I have heard how they can be bad for a number of reasons, like how the car is made for the rims to attach at a certain point and if the rim is sitting out more on the threads that its not good for it, etc. The thing is this: I think if the tires were even 1/2 inch - 1 inch out from the spacers that it would make the car look so much better, like having the wheels more closer to being flush with the flares on the fender, and it wouldn't even be necissary to lower it at all after this. But I don't understand why this would be bad, I meen can it really be that bad? Was just looking for some input. Thanks!

Also another question, I want the most widest tires possible, I am under the impression that stock tires are 195/60/15, so the 195 is this the tire width? Because if its like this:
15” wheels - 195/60/15
16” wheels - 205/50/16
17” wheels - 205/45/17
18” wheels - 215/35/18
Then if I want wide tires I am going to have to go with the largest tires? Like 18's? Is there such things as wheels that are instead of 205/50/16 would be like 220/50/16? Thanks a lot! :D

Does anyone know where I can get some info/discussion on wheel spacers? I couldn't find any... Thanks!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well, you'd only need wheel spacers if the wheel you must have doesn't come with the correct offset to fit a XD. Eibach makes some nice wheel spacers if they are really needed. The main concern is wheel stud length, longer studs are required to bolt the wheel down over the spacer.

Now you could just "push" the tires out from the car by buying wheels with a smaller offset, stock offset is 45mm (I believe), a 38mm offset would push the wheel away from the car, but then you'd have the tire rubbing on the inside of the fender. Elantra2.001 has 225/45/17's on his car, they fit with some rubbing I believe. Anything wider than 225 and you would need to have your fenders flared like the Korean touring race car Elantra.

And as far as tire sizes go, there is alot of different size combinations out there, it's just that some or more common than others. Just go to a site like tirerack.com and try out different size combinations.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I know I would post this question I am about to ask in the newb section, but since it goes with my post... what does the offset mean? Like what is this measurement taken from? Thanks for the info by the way!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have 225 width tires and thats the absolute widest that will fit, and i have some rubbing even with race coilovers. I had wheel spacers, 25mm, but with the width tire i have, it wasnt needed. Ill sell you my spacers if you want, but you cant go too wide or the tire hits the fender.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Offset is the distance from the actual centreline of the wheel to the mounting face of the wheel. Our cars, as all FWD cars have a positive offset, which means it is towards the outside or front of the wheel.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it possible to space the wheels out enough so that they are flush with the outside fender? Would it be fine as long as you don't lower it? Or if you go over large enough bumps the wheel would go all the way up and hit the bottom of the fender? Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
741 Posts
You need to stiffen up the suspension if you want to make the wheel flush, or you will rub. I know cause i do. I need to raise the rear end up a little, then ill be fine, but with stock suspension, im pretty sure you will rub.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the only way to stiffen the suspension is to get coil covers? Oh btw I sent u e-mail about spacers...

·
Registered
883 Posts
don't forget about the H&R's
http://www.elantragtclub.com/index/id125.html

Elantra2.001 said:
I have 225 width tires and thats the absolute widest that will fit, and i have some rubbing even with race coilovers. I had wheel spacers, 25mm, but with the width tire i have, it wasnt needed. Ill sell you my spacers if you want, but you cant go too wide or the tire hits the fender.
225 widest that will fit?
what about these 255?
http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7364#post7364

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
I'm guessing that the 255 is a typo, if it isn't I'm really wanting to know how he got that much rubber to fit. Ok I noticed that that person is still at stock ride height, if he lowered any I'm betting he will have crazy rubbing with 255's.

Edit: after some internet research I am convinced those are not 255's on that car in question. Toyo does not list that as an available size and I really don't believe that a 255 would fit even with stock suspension. Toyo FZ4 sizes

·
Registered
883 Posts
crazy rubbing - no kidding, that's why I'm waiting for someone with expertise to reply to his question of whether or not springs will fit. I have never seen that big on xd nor do I claim to know everything there is to know about springs/clearance.
btw Mahonroy: I have 215/45-17 with eibach pro kit & no rubbing. great combo

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
So, I ask again, what is the minimum (or is that maximum?) offset you can have with 195/60-15 so that the tire will be closer to the outside of the car without rubbing the fenderwells? And what is the offset for the factory steel wheels/alloy wheels?

Help would be appreciated...wanna get the stance of my car right! :bowdown:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Factory offset is 38 mm. I have no idea what the closest you can get with that size tire is with out rubbing. You just have to go out to the car and measure i guess.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It's 38mm? Oops, I was wrong. Good to know the right number though, thanks man!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts