Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a "rims and wheels" person, so this may be a stupid question.

I am at school the other day and I see an accord or civic (relatively new) and it appears the rims are mounted to the hub by one big "bolt" in the middle...there was even a complicated cotter-pin going through that "hub bolt".....it appeared to be like the quick-change setup they have on race cars.

Is this truly what I thought it was?
Or was it some rice?

If its real, do they have this/can it be adapted for our car? :cool:

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
I have no idea. The only car I've heard of coming with that is the Ferrari Enzo. I guess it's possible that it's an aftermarket thing, but it seems like you'd be very limited to your selection of wheels if you did it. And how often do you need to change tires anyway? lol

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
What you probably saw was a set of the Konigs (can't remember the name right now) that were out few years ago. They had a false centerlock hub cover that went over the lug nuts. It was held on by a cotter-pin like you describe, but wasn't a real center-lock. I don't think front wheel drive cars can be adapted to this wheel style though.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts

Like this? Those are my wheels, it's just a center cover that looks like a nut in the middle.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
similar to those in the picture...but the cover seemed to have more "realism" to it and agian, had that cotter pin setup.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have seen'em too, I read about the install a few years back, it was more than covering up the lugs, it was a conversion of some sort, looked like too much work to me. I don't know if that applies to all wheels of this style or just the ones I saw.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
There are wheels out there that have this option, but mostly they are on racecars!!!
Most likely they were a false centerline hub mount and just like walmart hubcap spinners are made to make you think that the person spent a lot more money on their car than they did...

From what I remember though, all the wheels with false hub mounts were really expensive, so i guess its a little different than the hubspinners...

shawn :)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I know the exact rim you are talking about, the picture is in my head but I don't remember what they are called - some also have a colored center ring like blue or red. Yeah, it's just a lug cover. Adapting a one "lug" to our cars would prolly be far too expensive and just a problem waiting to happen IMO.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If someone remembers the name or finds it out...let me know. I wont be able to sleep easy till I know..like when you hear a song and cant remember the name!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You may sleep easy my friend, the wheels you saw were TSW's They make and have made something like fifteen different wheels with center lock looking lug covers and a cotter pin. Check out their website, under the discontinued styles section, you'll see them. :bling:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
:wtf: Never mind the potential for problems with center-lock wheels on a daily driver. Remember when Car and Driver tested the Factory Five Cobra Coupe? One of the front wheels hadn't been cinched down tight enough and it FELL OFF during the track session! Boy would that suck!

·
Poster God
531 Posts
the only true wheels are the race wheel and the knock off wheels like daytons that lowrider have i have a set in the garage right now they go on with a hub assembly that is splined and then the rim goes on which has the teeth on the back side and then the large nut or lock and a wrench or if you have a knock off a led hammer. the other rim that had something simmular is momo had a 5 star that used to lock with a wrench but it was a cap and the lug nuts where underneath. as far as tuner wheels it was probably just a look of the racer car wheel. cause for them to create it would have to be a strong hub cause that is what the wheel is being bolted to.
here is a pic of a real hub adapter.

·
HID Master
606 Posts
Or like this perhaps? My friend's civic has a centre cap that looks like a real nut, even has a little wrench to put the centre cap on.

Those are 18s by the way

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think a set up like that would actually be good cos the wheels will not attract that much since nobody could sell em after they steal em from the car

I think for NYC would be perfect. no?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just hope you don't get a flat tire, as most centerlock wheels need to be torqued to 400 ft./lbs. You would need a planetary torque multiplication gearset similar to the one included with the new V10 Porsche if you wanted to ever be able to break free and properly torque the wheels.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts