Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Sober
1,823 Posts
I reckon PSC is a rip off. :(
Call around local exhaust places first for quote on either 2.25 or 2.5" mandrel bent cat back.
PSC offers a 2" system which is the same as stock. LIKE WTF!??!!?
You could almost get a stainless steel cat-back for the cost of their exhausts.

BTW I love PSC. Bought my pedals from them! ;)

MAJOR piss-off now about not having an center armrest/storage bin, going to be calling wreckers to see if can get one off the 2002 model.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Seinster, Good luck finding a wrecked Elantra, with the armrest and storage bin you may need to get the armrest recovered because it will be a black cloth with a different pattern.

Do you have a Sedan or Hatch?

·
Registered
55 Posts
ElantraElite said:
I've heard this rear sway bar is the most effiecent mod you could get done to the Elantra in the handling department. Looks like ill be having a long road trip to PSC. I really want to get the sports exhuast system fitted to mine.

Diabolique - this recording is from a member of the Elantra Club, he recorded his car and it sounds awesome, i want mine to sound something like this.
Rev
Drive By

I've had to wait until July to pick up my Elantra because they have dropped the 5 Speed Manual from the Elite line-up. But the Manual can be ordered as a Factory order which has to be put through to Korea and they will make it and have it sent down with the next shipment.

It doesnt bother me to wait. Just gives me some time to save some more money while there getting it all ready.
Thats not far off what mine sounds like, mine is a little deeper though. I got the quick shifter put on while I was there and that is going great as well.

In about a weeks time my car is going in to get everything sprayed body colour, including my custom grill, this will be the last thing I do to the oustside and then I will be focusing on audio and intake. Do any of you have an intake on an 04+ model?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Firstly, i don't think i'll go with a sports exhaust system, i do alot of highway driving, and if there is one thing i learnt from my camry, 4 cyclendars and sports exhaust a droning car do make, sounded cool when driving around, but yeah can get annoying, personal prefereance really, you won't get much gains with a cat-back system.
I have a k&n panel filter and removed part of the intake system but still have the resonator fitted, removing it does make the car sound alot louder, again personal preferance.
Oh yeah and if anyone finds a place that does have a wrecked elantra or sells centre console storage bins for them, let me know, damn hvt and lack of storage. I could get off Hyundai but i dread the price.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Elantra FX, now that i do think about it, the exhaust would get one my nerves, i never thought about how annoying it might get on the highway. Ill reconsider that now.

I'm not too sure that trying to find a wrecked Elantra will be that easy like you said. If you try the Yellowpages online and type in Hyundai, im sure that would be an excellent place to start if you dont have anyone in the business.

Hopefully you find one, its a nice addition to the Elantra, as the HVT Centre console is a little wierd. The only thing it has over the Elite and FX console is that it has a cup holder...i doubt anyone cares about that...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't quote me on this but I have heard that the handbrake setup is different on the HVT compared to the Elite, if that holds true then I don't think the centre console will be inter-changeable between the two. I can ask the guy down at the Hyundai workshop for you next Tuesday when I take my car in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah im getting someone at performance styling centre to ask around at the wreckers, its possible that one from an earlier XD GLS will fit, i just would like a centre console storage bin. Doesn't matter now, my car is off the road after an unfortunate accident with a kerb. My dad was driving at the time, when a car came out of no-where at a roundabout, he swerved to evade. The car lost all grip and understeered into a gutter doing about 40km/h. Part of the aloys outer rim broke off, and the wheel was warped. To make matters worse the impact bent the steering cross member and now the car isn't drivable, repairs start on tues, thankfully no-one was hurt.
All i have to say is this, if you have the OEM tyres Hyundai fitted (im my case hankook 866s, 185/65/15) then get rid of them and put something better on. Im probably getting Kumho ECSTA KH11s or something similar in a 205/55/15. The stock tyres were too skinny and not grippy enough. I belive that with better tyres, the accident my dad had would have been lessened, or avoided all together.

·
Registered
95 Posts
ElantraFX, sorry to hear the bad news, lucky no one got hurt. What prices have you gotten for the Kumho KH11's? If i remember right, the elite has Michelims on the alloys, i dont know how well they will stack up but if there just as shit as the Hankooks then there getting pissed off.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Also just thought i might ask, has anyone ever had to use there 5yr/130k warrenty? and how did anyone go with getting there car fixed? Was there any dramas?

I told the dealer straight out im taking my elantra to get serviced but a qualified person who doesn't work for Hyundai and uses genuine parts and they told me it's fine with them as long as they are not repairing it in a backyard...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Haven't had a chance to look at prices for kuhmos yet. Im annoyed i got hankooks in the first place, as i have the same aloys as the elite.
No waranty issues so far, i've been getting my car serviced by Hyundai, prices have been reasonable, service is good and i get a free carwash.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I find the hankooks to be fairly decent, I had an accent before the elantra and the tyres on the accent did a great job of holding the car off the showroom floor and very little else. I have a PSC rear sway bar as well and I must say the hankooks have served me pretty well. Thats not to say I will refit them, just that they seem pretty good, a damn sight better than the ` kooks on my accent which were a joke. In the wet the `kooks on the accent were atrocious, you had to peddle and steer on roundabouts and especially just after it starts raining, I have had no problems such as this on the elantra. I punted them pretty hard in the dry when I first fitted the PSC rear bar in the dry and they equated themselves pretty well, not outstanding, but pretty well. I think the difference in the 2 cars mentioned is that at 185 the elantra ` kooks are just wide enough as compared to the wheel barrow tyres on the accent. Just my opinion though. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Elantra FX, How much do you pay for the "minor" services? I wouldnt let Hyundai diagnose a problem with a car if they were the last people on earth! My mates Granduer had a flat battery and instead Hyundai charged them for an Altenator! bloody hopeless! If they can't diagnose a flat battery, i dont think ill take it to Hyundai. this is kevin dennis hyundai where im from though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You know it might sound kinda crazy but if the battery has gone flat there is a chance its because it isn't getting charged. Anyway not to worry got the 5 year warranty so if anything goes wrong guess who is paying. The first service cost me $85 which was an optional one at 7,500kms.

·
Registered
95 Posts
thats a reasonable price. lol well the problems with the granduer all had to be fixed 3 months after the 5 year warrenty, because the dealer kept putting off fixing it until the warrenty was out. even after they installed a new altenator the car still wouldnt kick over properly, once the battery was changed its been all good.

Does hyundai service centres use Natural oil or Synthetic oil?

·
Registered
55 Posts
ElantraFX said:
You know it might sound kinda crazy but if the battery has gone flat there is a chance its because it isn't getting charged. Anyway not to worry got the 5 year warranty so if anything goes wrong guess who is paying. The first service cost me $85 which was an optional one at 7,500kms.
Did that happen to be just an oil change?

·
Registered
12 Posts
um i don't know what kind of oil, i'll ask next time. They checked up on other stuff too, but basically the only major thing was an oil change, i may end up doing it on my own later on, depends.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hyundai is suppose to use natural oil and is brought in a drum, and is basically just crap. synthetic is the way to go, find a good qualified machanic and stick to them, also make sure they used genuine parts and nothing else so Hyundai can void the warrenty, I asked my Hyundai dealer if it was ok to do so and they told me as long as they use genuine parts and are qualified then i have nothing to worry about. basically a back yard machanic is a no go.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts