1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Just the facts please ...
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who, boosted, is running an SMT6?

Lots of questions if you have ....

• How was tuning?
  • Any issues or problems that you need to look out for?
  • How did you wire it up?
  • You have any start up maps that can be shared for a beta II, or know where they can be gotten?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm running the SMT-6 on a Beta1 though... but there is really no big diferrences with both engines

I'm running a seperate (2nd fuel rail) set of injectors for boost that is controlled by the SMT-6

How was tuning?
- The tuning is easy but kinda time consuming; trial and error, logging, fuel trim(s) monitoring and road tuning. A wideband o2 is a MUST and a OBD-II scantool is a recommended.. that's the only way you can see what afr's and your fuel trims that you have on a certain value on the SMT-6 map slot(s). If you can dyno tune it it'll take less time and easier.
- I highly recommend reading the SMT-6 User's Manual over and over again until you understand how to use the software. Also read up on this:
Tuning Document Download it, print it, read and study it! This will help you out a lot!

Any issues or problems that you need to look out for?
- Proper instalation: wire color codes with good power and ground sources, initial load the proper wiring diagram (or the car wont even start)
- Fuel trims are within specs: proper idle, around stoich afr's when off boost and check/read and diagnose right away the CEL's (if any)

How did you wire it up?
- here is my own wiring diagrams... but it might different on the Beta-II.. but take a look at it otherwise, you will get the idea on how to make your own
http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=15008

You have any start up maps that can be shared for a beta II, or know where they can be gotten?
- I have quite a bit of maps that I've made... it's just depends on your setup (please describe it); are you running larger injectors? if yes, what size? etc?

·
Vtec what?
350 Posts
i could never get the smt-6 to run my car, i was trying to run fuel and timing on it. the most help i got trying to get it going was from yamaha's information he had on his website and the info off of rdtiburon. perfect power and ida automotive couldn't get me any information on wiring and setting it up. I'm pretty sure my wiring is right, everything was reading and i was getting fuel. the problem i have is that i couldn't get the smt unit to actually let me make changes, it still has a toyota tacoma map installed in it. once i get my motor back in i might try to get it working, but at this point i think i would much rather go standalone and get away from the stock ecu.

here is the wiring diagram i came up with for a betaII in a 02 gls.
Nevermind see dmdicks' diagram posted below for the proper wiring and global settings

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm running the SMT-6 on my 03 BetaII. I worked directly with Perfect Power to get the wiring and global settings correct. Last dyno I did on Sat was 342WTQ/360WHP at 15psi with a GT2876R Turbo.
You cannot use the diagram for the BetaI. The BetaI has a magnetic crank sensor and the beta II has a digital Hall Effect sensor. Completely different.

·
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running the SMT-6 on my 03 BetaII. I worked directly with Perfect Power to get the wiring and global settings correct. Last dyno I did on Sat was 342WTQ/360WHP at 15psi with a GT2876R Turbo.
You cannot use the diagram for the BetaI. The BetaI has a magnetic crank sensor and the beta II has a digital Hall Effect sensor. Completely different.

Cool, just the info I need ... many emails sent to alpinetech, that you still?

·
The Underdog
514 Posts
he runs a secondary fuel rail with 290cc injectors in it. I think the setup on his car is gonna be very close to the Alpine extreme turbo kit. But anyways dmdicks is the one to ask about all this as Alpine is now going to be selling a smt-6 tuner kit.

·
The Underdog
514 Posts
no the unichip will be staying in the kits as far as I know, But for the extreme kit that will be in the range of 18-20psi you will run your stock injectors and a fuel rail spacer with 4 extra 290cc injectors that will be controlled buy the unichip or if you want you can get it any of the kits with the smt-6 and have a local speed shop dyno tune it for you!

·
The Underdog
514 Posts
That I dont know I have been talking to John Because eventually I will be going with the extreme turbo kit but everything is still in the works so I dont if they will be selling the smt-6 with a base map then you tune it from thier or if you will have to tune it all the way. Im sure Dave will chime in here soon with the answer

·
Vtec what?
350 Posts
Dave, is any way you could send me the proper wiring or post it up that would be very helpful, because that was the best i could come up with. i'm pretty sure the wiring for the fuel is correct because it tapped into the same wires the safc tapped into, but i wasn't sure on the ignition timing, does the wiring need to be different from that diagram i made, or is it in the global settings?

·
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So ... can the SMT6 control timing and fuel at the same time?

From reading the .pdfs on Perfect Power, it looks looks like it can only control timing and one extra injector circuit. The Beta II has sequential injection correct (each injector only opens when its needed, instead of all firing at the same time).

Seems that setting up an extra fuel rail and firing them all at the same time, when a preset point is hit, can cause some fueling issues.

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts

this should help. top pic has list of the pinouts and functions. second has the ordering and where they are located.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
BMX...shooting fuel all the time is not a problem as long as it is the correct amount of fuel...the intake valves will only suck in the fuel when they open...your not contansantly sucking it in...

if you have that set up it just means that you could run smaller injectors...obivoulsy that is not the best way to do it....larger injectors with the proper pulse width would be much more beneficial.

·
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
... this should help. top pic has list of the pinouts and functions. second has the ordering and where they are located...
Where did you get that pin out?? That is going to be very helpful ... but I need one for my car ... 2006 Kia Spectra5 with a 5-speed.

·
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the pin out ... couple of questions though.

Your using a MAP ... can a MAF be used instead, just clamping the voltage at a max limit?

You can adjust timing and the stock injectors with this?

Is there anyway to hook up the stock knock sensor for timing retard?

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
the smt-6 can apparently adjust + or - 7 degrees with nothing else added on our cars.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts