Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Elantra04
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats all I know. LOL. It only manifests itself in 1st gear auto and slightly in 2nd when I accelerate and it goes to 3rd it goes away, but since Im usually driving around town it means Im usually on 1st and 2nd. It literally sounds like a cricket chirping. I am meaning to check my bearing to see if there is any problems with that but since it is monday I wont get around to it until the weekend. Any ideas?

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
does it only happen when accelerating or when the car is in motion period?

·
Elantra04
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when accelerating! It is especially audible when the right side is against a wall. If had my girl stick her head out the window to try to locate the source of the sound and it is the front passenger. I dont hear it from the driver side. So yeah when accelerating through 1st and 2nd it usually makes it then goes away when I go to like 3rd. Ive checked visually and I dont see anything wrong, but Ill have to wait until the weekend to raise the car and check it out better.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I wonder if the brake rotor or something is lose. When you accelerate, it's moving something back and forth.. not sure though. Can't be the bearing, they don't make cricket sounds.

Just curious, did you try hitting your chair? Sometimes the seat doesnt' interlock properly and it makes a squeking sound.

·
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
10,969 Posts
How long since you changed your axles?

·
Registered
265 Posts
i have the exact same problem. the faster you go the less you hear it. its most noticeable at slower speeds.

look at this thread
http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31988

it turns out the shim's came loose and were rubbing on the part of the caliper that sticks out and is causing the noise (i think). im changing my pads tomorrow if it doesn't rain all day and ill let you know for sure if thats what it was

·
Elantra04
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my car has 55K miles for an 04. pretty low. I don't think axles will be going bad by now. I checked the boot and it is fine and the sound comes from the wheel well not from the engine bay. Like I said I had my girl stick her head out and try to listen where it was coming from, she concurs with me in that it comes from the wheel well. If not the bearings and most likely not the axle, it might be that something is loose. I gottat check this weekend.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Mine does it too, same exact thing, it is not a brake or axle thing. If you are light on the gas when accelerating then it does it, but if you push harder on the gas pedal the sound goes away. Im guessing it is belts, but still have not been able to hunt it down.
The sound stays steady it does not speed up or slow down , and only happens when there is a load on the engine

·
Resident Leg Puller
411 Posts
ive had that cricket noise too.......i think its just a re-occurring elantra noise, kinda like the old Honduh Tick from the 80's :rolleyes:

·
That's Mr. Detail to you
728 Posts
My car does that too. Turn on the radio and you don't notice it anymore. :D

Edit: I also changed out all of my belts with the exception of the timing belt and the noise still persists.

·
Resident Leg Puller
411 Posts
My car does that too. Turn on the radio and you don't notice it anymore. :D

Edit: I also changed out all of my belts with the exception of the timing belt and the noise still persists.
dont bother with it, i swapped out an entire engine and i still had the chirp, it didnt stop until the ball joints, brakes, axles, and subframe bushings were replaced :confused:

·
That's Mr. Detail to you
728 Posts
dont bother with it, i swapped out an entire engine and i still had the chirp, it didnt stop until the ball joints, brakes, axles, and subframe bushings were replaced :confused:
Wow. Yeah, I'll just keep the chirping, if my friends ask about it I'll just say that I put crickets in the TB.

·
Resident Leg Puller
411 Posts
Wow. Yeah, I'll just keep the chirping, if my friends ask about it I'll just say that I put crickets in the TB.
keep the radio turned up, it eliminates the crickets, i do the same thing with the bird thats magically appeared in the duramax diesel my dad owns.......ive been trying to find that damned bird for over 5 months now, and im not getting any further......................

·
That's Mr. Detail to you
728 Posts
keep the radio turned up, it eliminates the crickets, i do the same thing with the bird thats magically appeared in the duramax diesel my dad owns.......ive been trying to find that damned bird for over 5 months now, and im not getting any further......................
Yup, that's what I do if it bothers me, kick up the music. I really never thought anything of it though. I just saw that the belts were worn and replaced them while I changed my oil.

·
Resident Leg Puller
411 Posts
Yup, that's what I do if it bothers me, kick up the music. I really never thought anything of it though. I just saw that the belts were worn and replaced them while I changed my oil.
when i come across another elantra that thinks its a cricket, ill figure out the solution and inform everyone here about a fix for it.....i think instead of throwing a bunch of new parts at it at one time, ill just do it one at a time until i find the fix

·
That's Mr. Detail to you
728 Posts
when i come across another elantra that thinks its a cricket, ill figure out the solution and inform everyone here about a fix for it.....i think instead of throwing a bunch of new parts at it at one time, ill just do it one at a time until i find the fix
Sounds good. I'll do the same and I'll let ya'll know if I find out anything.

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
Check the electromagnet on the speed sensor. It may have picked up debri.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts