Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Either jacks and jack stands were placed on soft ground, or the floor was not level, or jacking points were incorrect, or the vehicle weight was not balanced. But mostly jacks can slip during "hard wrenching". Looks like the guy used only a jack and didn't use jack stands. His jack just gave way.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I used to work on my car with car ramps in the past because I had claustrophobia. But the problem with car ramps is that they skid on the driveway and hard to ride on them. I had deep scrapes on the driveway, which I have to repair. Nowadays I use jack stands and wheel chocks. The garage floor and driveway are not complete level. They are constructed slightly inclined for drainage. One time I tried to repair my car inside the garage on a rainy day, but it's too tight and too scary to crawl under the vehicle inside a closed garage. I already felt that it's not safe to go under the car inside the garage. The guy worked on his SUV in his closed garage and his jack failed. If he worked on his driveway, his neighbor or passers-by could have seen the incident and rushed to rescue sooner. The problem is that some subdivisions in upscale area don't allow car repair outside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts