Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Romans 8:28
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my exhaust installed, they put on the wrong tips. The exhaust is too loud and I'm having them put the stock resonator back on to quiet it down. They got the correct tips in but they said it would get louder with the correct tips since they are a bit bigger. Is that true? I would think it wouldn't. The muffler is under the car in the middle then it splits to my dual tip just before the rear axle.

·
Gaijin
311 Posts
Many of the grand prix guys have noticed not so much louder noise, but more resonation or amplification of the exhaust noise.

·
Registered
638 Posts
04 elantra cvvt said:
It will be quieter overall if they are also re-installing the resonator. I think you'll be happy with it. Our cars get insanely loud without the resonators.
They do - hmmmmmm :ssst:

·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the resonator reinstalled yesterday. The sound is much less annoying. Still has a deep growl, but you can't hear much of it on the freeway anymore and it isn't so loud when going down residential streets.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I don't think tips will make the sound louder or quieter - it's mostly in the muffler where the sound is created. I don't have a resonator anymore as my CAI took the place of that......I notice a nice not overly loud sound.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
XTRAWLD said:
I don't think tips will make the sound louder or quieter - it's mostly in the muffler where the sound is created. I don't have a resonator anymore as my CAI took the place of that......I notice a nice not overly loud sound.
I am pretty sure that Ronnie San is taking about the exhaust resinator. Removing that makes the XD REALLY loud. I am glad you like the sound better now. I have always had mine in place 'cause I like the deep growl too much. Congrats!

·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well...after driving it a little more, I realize it's only quiet when it's cold out... during the afternoon, the exhaust still booms and gets a bit annoying. Maybe I can stick in a second muffler on one of the split pipes where the stock one was. Might look ugly, but I hate my car being so loud.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The car is going to be loud with performance mufflers. You could get a stock muffler from a car that has a larger engine and therefore less restrictive exhaust but if you want the gains of the exhaust that comes from higher flow than the noise is something you have to live with. Otherwise you might as well just put the stock muffler back on.

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
If iit is still too loud, you will likely have to go with a more restrictive muffler like Elantra2.001 said. The tips will not change what you are seeing as the problem. Tips can make a huge difference in pitch and a little in sound volume, especially if you have the resonated ones. But I don't think this is the problem you are having.

I guess I'm assuming you have a header, otherwise I can't see why it would be so loud. You could try putting in a glasspack in place of the stock resonator, but if you still think it is lound with the oem resonator, then I don't think you are going to be happy with the glasspack either.

Otherwise you might as well just put the stock muffler back on.
:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts