Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing the factory foglight switch in my GLS. I got the switch worikng just fine, but I also want the foglight indicator to work. I found the wire leading to the bulb in the cluster, but webtech doesn't make it clear weather that wire wants 12 volts, or a ground to illuminate. If all it needs is a ground, then I can use the same wire from the multi-funciton switch right?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I wouldn't use the same ground for two different things.

It's probably a closed ground circut. But its going to need to get power somehow...

usually if its switched ground there is power all the time and the ground is made to illuminate the bulb.

shawn :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
the fog indicator lamp needs a 12V signal. it should be an orange wire. it gets its ground from the instrument cluster.

fog lamp schematic:

http://hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.asp?id=394883790#_394883790

what you need to do is use a relay to generate a 12V output when the fog light switch is turned on (the fog light switch provides ground). this is how the stock setup works: the fog light switch supplies ground to the fog light relay. the relay then sends 12V to the fog lights and to the fog light indicator light.

the switch only provides one ground signal. so the same signal you are sending to your fog lights has to also be sent to a relay to relay 12V to the indicator lamp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts