Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know I have had a declining interest in our cars over the last couple of months. Top that off with an employer who has no interest in online sales. The result is that I find very little reason to visit the forums.

More important I would like to say I had fun visiting the old XD forum and stirring things up in the Hyundai internet scene. If nothing else I hope I taught people not to take things as face value and in doing so saved people thousands of dollars.

I was watching an ad last night that pretty much summed up my feeling toward Hyundai and performance. The add was for the new Corolla with 170hp. Yes a Corolla.

I need to find a job at a Toyota dealer. I am tired of dealing with Hyundai people who buy a car simply on price and want everything for nothing. They have no idea about anything when it comes to cars or performance and I must say that the majority of our customers are actually far from the top of the food chain when it comes to brain power.

All in all I enjoyed many of the members here and may stop in to say hello from time to time.

-Jay

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Wow, good luck with that Jay. It's been great having you around.

At least you didn't pick Honda. ;) But in my opinion, Toyota has been behind in terms of sporty cars for several years now. That might be changing with the redesigned Supra. Of course, the aftermarket support will definitely be better than Hyundai.

·
The Girl
2,894 Posts
HatchetMan said:
Trust me, make of car has absolutely nothing to do with brain power. It may be true though that when buying a Hyundai, low price is of the utmost concern. You will most definitely find your share of idiots wanting Toyota's too, and Honda's, and Benzes and Beamers. But anyways, peace out!
I totally agree w/you. Yes, I admit when we were out in the market for my husband's car we were short on cash and went w/a Hyundai Accent. When it was my turn for a new car I went back to Hyundai because we had very few problems w/his car. No matter where you go you will find annoying customers, Hell I work in customer service and I get some lame brain ones myself. Everybody now-a-days wants something for nothing. I deal with paper products & plastics so naturally those prices have increased over the past year. I have to hear that from all my customers that the price is too high....gas is too high, but no matter how much you complain the price will stay the same.... I think I lost track of what I was saying...but I think you get the idea of it.

It's fine that you wanna leave but don't critizize the Hyundai people.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So far the best/smartest customers I have had were the Saturn owners back in 93-95 when I was a parts manager for Saturn. My last six years as a Hyundai parts manager is where my frustration with the intelligence levels of Hyundai owners has come from.

Don't take it personal, I mean I think the majority of the Hyundai owners I see everyday would not even be able to figure out how to get online never mind how to find a forum like this.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
What is sad is that he is right to some extent. There are a couple around here even, I won't make examples because the dumb get upset when you call them stupid but you don't have to look hard to find them.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Bear in mind that when you sell parts for any product be it a car or a dishwasher, or in my case, a gun you are not meeting people at their best. They are talking to you because something you sold them BROKE that usually means that they aren't especially happy. It also means that you: as the seller of a product have more knowledge of that product than the people you are marketing to. This leads to the frustrating problem of answering what sems like the same question again and again and again. I've been at my job for eight years and believe me Jay I understand your position and I applaud you for having the presence of mind to GO DO SOMETHING ELSE before you snap. Good Luck, you've been a big help to those of us smart enough to find the internet.

·
The Girl
2,894 Posts
....But to narrow it down to Hyundai owners? Yes, I agree there is a lot of stupid people but to narrow it down that offends me as a Hyundai owner. I agree that there is a lot of stupid people......If your going to hate stupid people hate them all instead of hating just Hyundai owners. Feel me?

slvrsleeper said:
Bear in mind that when you sell parts for any product be it a car or a dishwasher, or in my case, a gun you are not meeting people at their best. They are talking to you because something you sold them BROKE that usually means that they aren't especially happy. It also means that you: as the seller of a product have more knowledge of that product than the people you are marketing to. This leads to the frustrating problem of answering what sems like the same question again and again and again. I've been at my job for eight years and believe me Jay I understand your position and I applaud you for having the presence of mind to GO DO SOMETHING ELSE before you snap. Good Luck, you've been a big help to those of us smart enough to find the internet.
I totally agree. If you are not happy w/your job then it's a smart thing to leave. I also agree that not everybody knows what happens inside there car, that is why they bring it to you. Just because they don't have knowledge of cars does not make them stupid.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I don't think Jay was trying to attack Hyundai owners just venting his spleen a little about HIS customers. If he really thought that little of us he wouldn't bother posting here right?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
No problem at all, see everyone this is how disagreements should go on this site....Civil and articulate, without all the cussing and name calling.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
just remember where jay is...in conneticut...there are a lot of stupid people who move up there from NYC...just like they move out here to the poconos!! my contempt for stupid people would not drive me from a job....sorry...to see you go jay...but parts are there...you just have to find them...and thats why i like tuning my elantra...because its not easy to do it...i cnat just walk into my local rice store and buy sh!t...the guy who sold me my teins didnt even know what corner balancing was!! WTF!!! vdub owners....at any rate....stay true to yourself and you never fall! peace :bowdown: nothing but love

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
I feel your pain on the corner weighing. It took me almost a week of calling shops all over IL and even some around Milwaukee and only came across a hand full that knew what I was asking for and then only found two that could do it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well first I have to say that I am not leaving my job yet, although I am considering a change. I am actually considering what I can do that is not at a car dealer. I like my job but the deadbeats you have to work with at dealership is never ending. I would love a stable job that would not surround me with fake salespeople and drunk/stoned technicians and recon guys. But since I am paid well, I like my location, and I like a couple of the people I work day to day with I am sticking it out for a little bit longer. There is a Saturn and a Toyota dealer next door that I watching for a job opening for a parts manager at however.

Not all Hyundai owners are stupid. Just a large portion of them. Hell even I was stupid enough to buy my 2002 Elantra even after loosing money when I tried to get rid of my 99 Elantra. The resale factor makes me wonder what would make someone buy a Hyundai if they are not in it for the long haul.

Most of the bad experience comes from the service side of the business. I very rarely see people for parts since nobody fixes them on thier own. The large part of my time is spent dealing with body shops who are rebuilding Hyundais after they get crashed.

Don't forget that I have yet to have even one customer come to me at work asking for performance parts for an Elantra. We are a very tiny group of people trying to modify a car that was meant to be a price competive option to the Civic, Corolla, Focus, Cavalier, Neon etc. The Elantra and most Hyundai's are driven by people who simply want the cheapest version of the type of car they are interested in buying ie. suv, sedan or compact. Most of these people know nothing about cars and could care less what is under the hood as long as it starts each day. The large majority of Hyundai owners are also fooled by the sales department. They think they are buying a car that they will not need to pay for any repairs on. Many don't realize that the warranty does not cover everything for 5/60 and the powertrain only covers some stuff until 10/100.

I love Hyundai, I have owned 4 myself so far, but when it comes time for me to spend real money ($20-30,000) I will spend my hard earned money on a Honda or a Toyota. I can feel comfortable telling people to buy a 2000 or newer Hyundai for $5,000-$10,000 but that is it. The resale value on a Hyundai is just not good enough to put any real money into one. When you spend $20,000+ you need to put it into a vehicle that does not loose half it's value once it leaves the dealership.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts