Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are a few pictures of what the 2001 WRX (non-STI) scoop looks like on my rally red '02 GT. The scoop was originally white, but I painted it black. It's functional -- I put it on to cool the outside of the Alpine S/C unit, since it doesn't have an intercooler.

It does help -- the Eaton MP45 body used to be hot to the touch after a short run of spirited drving or more than 30 minutes of normal driving when the ambient temperature was about 40°F. Now, with the scoop at the same temperatures, it's cool to the touch after the same driving.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
YAY for a FUNCTIONAL hood scoop:clap:

Out of curiosity, what did you use to cut the hole in the hood? Also, IMHO, I don't think it looks bad in black, but would look killer painted to match.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a dremel with the fiberglass reinforced cutting wheels. It did a good job, but I probably went through 6 or more of the little cutting wheels.

I'm planning on painting the center of the hood black from the black grille (I'll paint the chrome black, too) to the windshield following a straight line from the grille to just on either side of the scoop. I know I'm not good enough to paint the scoop body color. It's cheaper for me to paint the center of the hood "trim black" myself than have a body shop paint the scoop, too. I think it will look nice.

I'll try to get a better front picture, too -- the chrome around the grille looks a bit strange with the black lower grille and black scoop.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Since you're going to be painting the whole (center part) of the hood, have you considered molding the scoop to the hood (bondo-blend) so that it doesn't look like an add-on, but a real part of the hood?

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^Yep, I considered it. But it seems the thermal expansion of the scoop material is different than the hood based on the change in gap where it rests at different temperatures. I'm worried that bondo in the gap would crack and look crappy. I'm going to skip that.

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
I must say, it doesn't look bad at all!

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was pleased with how good it looked. It may not be the absolute best looking scoop to put on an Elantra, but it looks better than I expected now that it is installed.

I thought about getting an aftermarket-maker scoop, but they were more expensive! I like the fact that this scoop is a factory-original true OEM (subaru) quality part.

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
where'd you pick it up from?

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From some auto parts place on Ebay. I got the spreader / splitter piece that is used on the WRX to duct the air over its intercooler. I planned to use it if cutting the hood made it too flimsy, but it isn't needed.

I'm adding a front-on picture to the first post so you can see what it looks like from that angle.

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
It doesn't bad at all. I agree that it'd look better painted to match the hood.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ Ironic that the Elantra has the Subaru Impreza WRX hood scoop on it while the Subaru Impreza is not a WRX and doesn't have a scoop, isn't it?

·
2005 Member
834 Posts
I wonder what those scoops would look like backwards. You know like cowl hoods.

^ Ironic that the Elantra has the Subaru Impreza WRX hood scoop on it while the Subaru Impreza is not a WRX and doesn't have a scoop, isn't it?
that because both the wrx and sti have top mounted intercoolers and that was its general purpose was for cooling that and some of the other components.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ I set it on top backwards like a cowl induction setup before cutting and drilling and it didn't look bad. If you were looking to cool the entire underhood area, that would probably work well.

As for the Irony, I just meant that I think it's funny that the Subaru Impreza scoop is on my Hyundai and not on my wife's Subaru Impreza...

·
2005 Member
834 Posts
^ I set it on top backwards like a cowl induction setup before cutting and drilling and it didn't look bad. If you were looking to cool the entire underhood area, that would probably work well.

As for the Irony, I just meant that I think it's funny that the Subaru Impreza scoop is on my Hyundai and not on my wife's Subaru Impreza...
ok I get yeah. Yeah you should look into getting her a hood swap later on. why did you do your black you should have color matched.

·
Registered
887 Posts
i'd like to see it with the black hood.

look's iight.. i love the subie scoop. (that one.. i dont like the bonnet style)..

but i'll wait until its finished before i step on the frankfurter.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
hey whats goin on? nice hood scoop is that your wife's new car next to yours?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
we can't read, we just look at the pics :D, Hope to see it live sometime in '08. hey Kylemorg did you get my PM about cleaning the headlamp lenses ?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts