Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up...my dads 03 gt is having problems with hard starting or not starting at all...he has had it to the dealership like 2 times and everytime they say they cant figure it out and it starts for them....he put new plugs in, he had the reflash done...they claim that a wire was loose on the fuel pump and they fixed it but it still does it....anybody have any ideas??? one mechanic said that there was a sensor that could be off...i forget the name of it but it ties into the ignition for timing....not sure...any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
What does it do when it doesn't start? Is the engine cranking? Just clicking? Nothing at all? Prob. computer shit, but more deatails would be helpful

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
if the starter won't engage, it's probably a sticking clutch interlock switch. if the starter engages and the engine cranks, then i have no clue...

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
I think it is a electrical short somewhere. Look at the starter and switches first, then wiring.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it will sound like its cranking but it just doesnt turn over!....i thought it was the starter too...becuase at times it will start and go fine but other times it just wont do a damn thing

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
So... the motor is turning, but not starting? Or is the starter spinning, just not engaging in the flywheel? If it's not engaging in the flyweel, you need another starter. If it is actually turning the motor, but won't start, take it back to the dealer. They have the proper equipment to diagnose the problem. They may even know right off the top of their heads. You are still under warranty aren't you?

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
from what my pops said...it sounds like it going to start right up but then it never does! just keeps going...its been to the dealer twice and they have pretty much thrown their hands up :mad:

·
Member #23 in the weeds.
1,952 Posts
Take a plug wire off and stick a long screwdriver in the plug so you can ground it out against the engine. Have someone crank the engine and see if there is a spark. If not, it's got to be electrical. If there is go to the exhaust pipe and (after lots of cranking) see if you can smell gas. If not, it's most likely the fuel pump. This I know from experience.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The first thing you need to determine is fuel or fire. While Tricked test are valid, they are a little crude. Get a spark tester to determine spark. If you have spark. Then it has to be fuel. To determine that it is fuel, to check the pump, turn the key on. I know that I can hear my pump kick on when the key is turned. And, if the car has been back to the dealer more than three times for the same problem, and they are still unable to fix it, you could get them to Lemon Law it out.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
true dat!! thanks guys...when i'm down there tomorrow...i will have to check it out....just out of curiousity...if i have both be like :pain10: with the service department??

·
Registered
638 Posts
mine has done this couple times but after motor stopped altogether
has ya pop had problem with motor cutting out whilst driving?
1st time it was map sensor and 2nd time was fuel pump

1 - 19 of 19 Posts