Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Pioneer Premier DEH-P550 that is XM ready. The Pioneer book says I have to use a Pioneer receiver number GEX-P910XM with this radio, and the Pioneer AN91XM antenna. I can get the receiver on line for $136, and the antenna about $50. (about $200 total)
My question is, how hard are these things to hook up? Is this something that a non audio person can do if you follow directions if I buy on line?
Is it better to but on line and take it to an audio shop and pay the $$$ to have them do it?? If you do that they charge more than if you buy there.
I went to a shop yesterday and the price I got for the receiver was the installed price of $199 and the antenna was $70 (buy receiver and antenna from them and they install it $300 total)
I haven't made up my mind if I want to do this or not, I just want to know what I'm getting into if I do, and try to install it myself

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
sounds to me like you are looking at the exact same price if you buy it there and install it or if you buy it online and have someone install it. it might even be more to have some outside components installed. you have to realize they get the parts at manufacturer or wholesale prices. then they raise it to retail and charge you about 100 bucks to install. i say, if it looks like a reputable place and they have some kind of installation warranty then go ahead an do it. if they've got some "dawgs" and "homies" who looked like they dropped out of school and are about to drop to the floor cause their shirts are so long they will trip on them any second . .. move on to the next shop or go to some place like circuit city or best buy and ask how much they will charge for the items plus install or just install if you bring it in yourself. either way you are looking at spending the same amount of money but you are right you most likely will pay more if you just take the parts in since they are looking to make more than 100 bucks. my best advice would be to go about an hour or two before closing time maybe on a friday when the owner is just looking to close out his week with a profit and might do it for a reasonable price for say 100 bucks. otherwise he will charge you something more around the 150-200 ballpark. try it and see for yourself. . .it will be interesting. go to a place early one morning that has about 2 or 3 computers on the counter and maybe a visible little office off to the side or in the back somewhere . . . this means he is probably running some kind of accounting software, which will tell him exactly how much he needs to meet the quota for the week. go early in the week in the morning time when no one has installed anything yet probably and ask how much it is. then go on a lazy day friday afternoon just about 1 to 1 1/2 hours before closing time and ask again . . . this isnt fool proof and might even backfire on you if he needs to make a LOT of money to close out the week but it just might work. you might see two very different prices. in any case you have two places who might be willing to compete with eachothers prices. just say the words "well this other place/guy charges me" and then either tell him 10 or 20 dollars less then what you want to pay or at least under what he is quoting you . . or just mumble any old number to see if the owner bites. take his first offer if its something you are willing to pay . . he wont beg for your business. another good thing, take your wife/girlfriend or just a female friend who is willing to pretend and look at her and say something to the effect of "thats a little more than that other place right ?" but not too loudly so you arent obvious. . . better yet let her butt in gently and say that phrase . . . these little techniques will save you money 9 times out of 10 with mom and pop places. that 10th time you will hear the owners trick phrases come out like "well hey go with them then" lol good luck-Felixr

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I think that if you are confident in your stereo and electrical skills, it shouldn't be a problem for you. I don't think it would be to tough to install, although if theyre going to install it all for $100, I might do that. It's worth a hundred bucks for me to to have to mess with it. Just my .02 though.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
hey that was early in the morning when i wrote that . . .i thought it was pretty impressive as far as serious conversation goes. . . isnt anyone impressed? maybe i was just too sleepy still and just THOUGHT it sounded intelligent. . . no?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
LOL. I just ordered the Pioneer GEX-P910XM receiver, and Pioneer AN91-XM Antenna from a company on the web for $198. The one I was watching on ebay got too expensive. Last I looked it was over 180 bucks with 15 bucks shipping for a system that the seller says was a month old.(?)
I just got a new one for that price. Now it's just the waiting thing. I just talked to Ultimate Electronics here in Vegas where I got the head unit, and they said they would install the receiver and antenna for $50. Got to love that. It will be worth the $50 to me to let them do it!!!
Hows XM's programming by the way for a classic rock guy??

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No prob. I figure a couple weeks.

Got the receiver and antenna today, Ultimate Electronics is going to install it next Thursday at 9am for me. (Soonest I can get it done) They charged me $50 to do it.
They said they put the receiver under either the driver or passenger seat, and the antenna either on the dash, or on the outside of the car, my choice. I asked them if they do the dash, don't they have to take the whole damn dash out? They said no, just run the wire in the little space between the windshield and dash, and then down the driver door weatherstrip to under the dash to the receiver. :cool:

After this, I work on the DVD system...........

Ultimate installed the receiver and antenna today. They did a great job. They installed the receiver high on the passenger side under the carpet at the bottom of the dash by removing a section of padding there. :cool: Antenna is inside on the dash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts